Choosing a new car or van is exciting, but before you go ahead and make any final decisions, you should always arrange a test drive. This will give you the chance to make sure the vehicle is suited to you and feels right, whilst also giving you the opportunity to inspect the interior, exterior and its performance.
To help you feel prepared, we've put together a quick guide, so you know exactly what to expect from a test drive.
How to test drive and check a used car or van
Firstly, you need to remember your driving licence to show the dealer for legal purposes. They will have a policy in place for test driving, so you don't need to be concerned about vehicle insurance.
In general, test drives could last up to an hour, and you may be accompanied by someone from the dealership. To make the most of your test drive, we've put together some handy tips to consider:
- Bring along any items you need to be sure fit in your vehicle, such as pushchairs, child seats etc.
- Take someone with you who can tell you what the car or van feels like as a passenger
- If possible, test the vehicle on different roads such as around town and on a motorway
- Find somewhere safe to brake hard and test the brakes in case of an emergency
- Check for blind spots
- Try overtaking on a dual carriageway to test the acceleration
- Test the entertainment system, including connecting your phone to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto if the vehicle comes with this added feature.
- Check the space within the car or van and the boot
- Ensure it's comfortable
- Look closely at the interior and exterior of the vehicle
- Test the main features such as air conditioning and Bluetooth
- Ask as many questions as you need to
Once you have familiarised yourself with the vehicle, it's always worth test driving something similar for comparison. Don't feel pressured by anyone to decide straight after a test drive. Unless you're certain the vehicle is for you, you can always go away to think about it in more detail.
How to arrange a Test drive at Carbase
Here at Carbase, we offer test drives on all our used cars and vans. Once you have found a vehicle you like, simply use the test drive button on our website to provide your details and arrange a suitable date. If you would like more information about test drives or need some expert advice when choosing your new vehicle, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We'd love to help!