Brent Cars Limited T/A Carbase is committed to protecting your privacy and developing technology that gives you the most powerful and safe online experience. This Policy applies to the Carbase website at www.carbase.co.uk and associated assistant apps at www.carbase.app.
By using the Carbase website or apps you consent to the data practices described in this statement. Please note that this Policy may change from time to time and, if it does, the latest version will always be available on the Carbase website.
Who we are
Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information collected and what it is used for
Carbase collects the following personal information about you and uses it for the following purposes:
1) When you express interest in a vehicle, such as asking a question, requesting an appointment to view or test drive the vehicle, we may collect your name, mobile number, email address and postcode.
2) We use IP addresses for three reasons:
a. To determine whether activity on our domains has been carried out by human activity as opposed to bot or crawler activity.
b. For research purposes in order to help us understand consumer activity and search trends on our web services.
c. To help determine your location to make searching for vehicles more effective.
4) We retain a log of your correspondence with us including emails, online chat sessions and telephone calls. We retain any personal data contained within these communications for the purposes of providing an audit trail of your interactions with us. We also provide access to this information to our dealers for quality control and monitoring purposes. Recordings of telephone calls are retained for 90 days and recordings of emails are retained for 2 years.
5) Where your inquiry results in the purchase of a vehicle, we may use the vehicle search / regional postcode provided to match additional searches carried out from our classified advertising partner sites. We provide details of the postcode you supply and in line with their respective privacy policies, this is matched to monitor website traffic from Motors.co.uk, Auto Trader & Car Gurus networks. We carry out this process to monitor how many sales are influenced using these individual vehicle classified advertising sites.
6) We use an independant customer assurance partner JudgeService to display our customer satisfaction and the percentage would recommend score. We use a trusted third party for this purpose to ensure the feedback collected and advertised are always fair, accurate and independent of our stores. Providing customer satisfaction, reviews or feedback on your enquiry or purchase is optional.
Our basis for processing your data
Carbase processes your personal information on the following grounds:
1) Performance of a contract
Carbase is a retail business carrying out the sale, repair, supply of associated products and services of used motor vehicles. We may answer your questions or respond to your website requests when you require Carbase to do something before or during entering into a purchase contract with us (eg provide a quote). We process the personal data collected during these contact processes in line with the performance of a contract.
Where we process your personal data for direct marketing purposes this is based on us having contained valid opt in consent from you to do so.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time though this does not affect the lawfulness of the processing of your personal information prior to that withdrawal. You can withdraw your consent by contacting us at email@example.com.
3) Legitimate Interests
Where it is not necessary for us to process personal data for the performance of our contract with you, such as the correspondence logs, then this personal data is processed on the basis of Carbase or the third party to whom we provide the data pursuing legitimate business interests.
It is in our legitimate interest to maintain audit logs of communications between Carbase and buyers and sellers of vehicles via Carbase web services. This is to assist in dispute resolution and for quality and customer assurance monitoring purposes.
Processing undertaken for any other purpose set out above in this section which has not otherwise been specifically dealt with here is processed on the basis of legitimate interests. It is in the legitimate interest of Carbase to understand the activities of those who use our products and services, including websites, to ensure that activity is being undertaken is legitimate, i.e. it is being undertaken by natural persons instead of bots.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties as follows:
1) By submitting your personal data to us through the Website, you consent to your personal data being transferred outside the EEA. By using the Chat Service, you consent to any personal data disclosed in the course of using the Chat Service being processed and stored by the Chat Service provider on its systems outside the EEA.
2) We may use service providers to help us run the Website or services available on the Website, some of whom may be based outside the EEA. Some of our webpages use plugins from third party platforms (such as the 'Facebook Recommend' or Facebook Gestures' function). Information about your visit to the Website may be collected by these third party providers on these pages. If you browse these pages whilst still also logged in to your account on the third party platform, information collected by the third party may be connected to your account on the third party platform. For more information on how these third parties use information, please read their privacy policies.
3) We are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce our terms and conditions and any other agreements.
4) For the purposes of the prevention or detection of offences, and/or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders, we may share any information that we collect with the Police, other public or private sector agencies, governmental or representative bodies in accordance with the relevant legislation. This will include public authorities, insurance companies, finance companies, automotive advertising companies and/or other agencies.
You can manage website cookies in your browser settings, and you always have the choice to change these settings by accepting, rejecting, or deleting cookies. If you choose to change your settings, you may find that certain functions and features will not work as intended on the Services. All browser settings are slightly different, so to manage cookies, you should refer to the relevant settings within your browser.
We understand that you may want to know more about cookies. Here are some useful resources that provide detailed information about types of cookies, how they are used, and how you can manage your cookie preferences: www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. Please click below for detailed information on how to disable and delete cookies in some commonly used browsers:Mozilla Firefox
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Flex Automotive Websites by Motors.co.uk
We use a third party supplier to provide the website Carbase.co.uk. The essential features of our Site require the use of certain cookies so that we can remember your vehicle search selection and what is in your shortlist whilst you continue to browse our Site and/or navigate to different pages of the Site during your browsing session. We are also able to identify you as being logged in to the Site and ensure that you are able to access the appropriate features on our Site.
Vehicle Search Selection SEARCH_ CARMAKE, CARMODEL, UNDEFINED, KEYWORDS, REFVEHICLEID, JSESSIONID, VEHREGLASTLOOKED Price Range / Finance Search Selection SEARCH_ BUDGETSEARCHPERIOD, FINANCECASHINPUT, BUDGETCREDITSCORE, BUDGETSEARCHMILEAGE, BUDGETSEARCHDEPOSIT, MAXPRICE CF_CLIENT_FLEXWEBSITES, _TC, _LV, _HC, cookie_consent
A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent from our web server to your browser, which is saved on the hard drive of your computer, smartphone or other device.
A cookie cannot: Read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites; Damage your system; Run programmes on your computer; Deliver viruses.
Live Chat Service
We use a third party supplier to provide the Live Chat Service. The cookies are used to manage your live chat session, to track your preferences and to personalise your experience. You may disable persistent cookies. However, if you disable the session cookie you will not be able to use the Live Chat Service.
User Selection to minimise display of live chat panel.
We use Google Analytics to carry out statistical analysis of page use, page interactions and paths through the Website to evaluate and develop our Website. This is known as 'digital analytics'. We may also record certain information that customers provide during a Website purchase or other process.
Cookies:_utma, _utmz, _ga, _gat, _gid
Google Analytics Cookie Usage on Websites - Cookie Name - Expiration Time - Description
This information allows us to understand individual behaviours and needs more accurately.For more information on how Google uses the data collected via this service, see here: http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/
To opt out of being tracked via Google Analytics, you can also use Google's opt-out browser add-on: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Carbase uses services provided by Hotjar Ltd. Hotjar provides services including Heatmaps, Visitor recordings, Funnels and Form Analysis, Feedback Polls, Surveys and Recruiters. The information generated by the tracking code and cookie about your use of the website will be transmitted to and stored by Hotjar on servers in Ireland. Through the Hotjar tracking code the information collected is device specific data.The following information may be collected through your device and browser:
- your device's IP address (collected and stored in an anonymised format);
- your email address including first name and surname;
- device screen size;
- device type (unique device identifiers) and browser information;
- geographic location (country only);
- preferred language used to display the webpage.
Our servers automatically record information which is created upon using Hotjar. This data includes:
- referring domain;
- pages visited;
- geographic location (country only);
- preferred language used to display the webpage;
- date and time when website pages were accessed.
Hotjar will use this information for evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Hotjar uses a variety of services hosted by third parties, such as Google Analytics and Optimizely. These services may collect information sent by your browser as part of a web page request, such as cookies or your IP request. For information on how Google Analytics and Optimizely collect and use your information, please refer to their privacy policies. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the processing of the above data by Hotjar and by the third parties used by Hotjar in accordance with their respective privacy policies. The cookies used by Hotjar have differing durations; some are 365 days, some persist for the session only.
This cookie is set once a visitor interacts with a Survey invitation modal popup. It is used to ensure that the same invite does not re-appear if it has already been shown.
This cookie is set once a visitor completes a poll using the Feedback Poll widget. It is used to ensure that the same poll does not re-appear if it has already been filled in.
This cookie is set once a visitor minimizes a Feedback Poll widget. It is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when the visitor navigates through your site.
This cookie is set once a visitor submits their information in the Recruit User Testers widget. It is used to ensure that the same form does not re-appear if it has already been filled in.
This cookie is set once a visitor minimizes a Recruit User Testers widget. It is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when the visitor navigates through your site.
This cookie is set once a visitor completes a survey. It is used to only load the survey content if the visitor hasn't completed the survey yet.
This session cookie is set to let Hotjar know whether that visitor is included in the sample which is used to generate funnels.
To opt out please go to the following link: https://www.hotjar.com/opt-out
Carbase uses services provided by Response Tap. Response Tap provide our Contact Centre Call Intelligence. Through the use of their services our website is able to display dynamic telephone numbers depending on the content of the pages you visit. These allow you to be automatically routed to the correct department relating to the location of the car or Autocentre you are viewing on the website at that time. This system utilises cookies to record the source of your visit and the website content you view before calling. This allows us to measure the advertising sources that generate the calls to Carbase. Your call is recorded and your telephone number is visible to our Contact Centre team.
Cookies used in this process: adiVi, adiV, adiS, adiLP
You can choose to hide your telephone number when dialling through the settings of your smartphone or by dialling 141 before the destination number. If you wish to call us without using this interactive system our contact centre can be called by direct dial on 0117 304 1060.
Carbase uses audiences created using Google Analytics cookie data to buy ad inventory through Google DoubleClick
Adwords Conversion tracking - Carbase uses Google Adwords to build audiences. These audiences are used to buy relevant ad inventory to target users on third party sites.
Adwords Remarketing - Carbase uses audiences created using Google Adwords cookie data to buy ad inventory through Google DoubleClick
Facebook - Carbase uses Facebook to buy ads to target users based on browsing behaviour on Carbase.co.uk
We use Google Optimize to test improvements to our website in real time. This system is designed using cookies to allow new website features to be tested on a percentage of website users and measure the difference in user experience. This may be as small a change as the colour of a button or as big as a whole new website feature. This approach means that if there is something wrong with a new design or function it can be checked and corrected before all users experience the same difficulty.
Cookies: _gaexp This is used to determine a userâ??s inclusion in an experiment and the expiry of experiments a user has been included in.
NewVehicle.com (iVendi Ltd)
We use iVendi to provide motor finance technologies through our website. The iVendi platform is used by over 7,000 UK motor dealerships and handles 1.2 billion motor finance quotations per day. On the Carbase sites the iVendi platform powers our Monthly Budget Vehicle Search,
Quick HP / PCP Examples, Compare Finance Deals Listings, Free Car Finance Check and Apply Online. Any information you enter into this platform is encrypted and secure through https. The platform will also ask you for the appropriate consent as required if you wish to make a application or action based on the information supplied.
Microsoft Azure Cloud Services
Our website is hosted through Microsoft Azure Cloud Services. Using this global network our website is able to use content delivery network technology, this means the website content is loaded to your device through a location service which accessed the data from the closest data centre to you in the world. For example if you are in the UK the data centres in Ireland or Northern Europe will be faster than waiting for a connection to the USA. This is a great way of ensuring our site loads as quickly as possible. Cookies: ApplicationGatewayAffinity, ARRAffinity
You can read more about privacy settings with Microsoft here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/TrustCenter/Privacy/default.aspx
Other tracking technologies
Local shared objects/Flash cookies: Flash cookies, also known as local shared objects, are designed to support browser content supported by AdobeÂ® Flash. They are usually used to enable ads and video content on websites. Like other cookies, they will store information on your device, some of which will be specific to the Flash-enabled content. Flash cookies can only be deleted within Adobe Flash rather than via your browser. Please refer to the following help page for information on how to manage your privacy settings and deletion of Flash cookies: www.macromedia.com/support
Web beacons: Our web pages may contain electronic images known as web beacons (also called single-pixel gifs and transparent graphic images) that we use to help deliver cookies on our sites, count users who have visited those sites, deliver services, and analyse the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, for example. We may also include web beacons in our marketing email messages or newsletters to determine whether an email is opened or if links are clicked.
Web server & application logs: Our servers automatically collect certain information to help us administer and protect the Services, analyse usage, and improve usersâ?? experience. The information collected includes:
- IP address and browser type
- Device information including Unique Device Identifier (UDID), MAC address, Identifier For Advertisers (IFA), and similar identifiers we or others may assign
- Device operating system and other technical facts
- The city, state, and country from which you access our website
- Pages visited and content viewed, stored, and purchased
- Information or text entered
- Links and buttons clicked
- URLs visited before and after you use our Services
Third Party Cookies
Where we store your personal data
All information (except Payment Card information) you provide to Carbase is stored on secure servers.
Once Carbase has received your information, Carbase will use strict procedures and security features for the prevention of any unauthorised access.
Access to personal information
You have the right to access all personal information supplied to Carbase and rectify any inaccuracies on the information held. Further enquiries should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to Carbase - Data Protection Office, Aisecome Way, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS22 8NA
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Policy are welcomed and should be addressed to email@example.com
Right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office
Where you believe that Carbase has failed to properly comply with its obligations in respect of your personal information, including your rights as set out above, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.
The Information Commissioner's Office address is:
The Information Commissioner's Office
You can find more information about their role and how to submit a complaint on their website: www.ico.org.uk