Home < Blog < Car News < Selling Or Part Exchanging Checklist

Selling or part-exchanging: what to bring with you checklist

Selling or part-exchanging: what to bring with you checklist

What to Bring


Once you've decided on your new car or van, it's time to sell or part-exchange your old one. And the process couldn't be easier. Whether it's privately or at a garage, selling or part-exchanging your car simply involves handing over some paperwork and the keys. Once you've agreed on a price and the deal is done, you'll need to provide the necessary documentation and paperwork to confirm that you own the vehicle, its service history, and roadworthiness.

Here's our guide to what to bring with you when you're selling or part-exchanging your vehicle.

selling or part exchanging checklist graphic

Your Checklist

  • V5C Complete Log Booklet
  • Driving License (Matching the V5C)
  • Current MOT
  • Service History
  • All Spare Keys
  • Finance Settlement Letter (Where applicable)
  • Locking Wheel Nut Key (Where applicable)
  • Proof of Address






Your V5C is the most important document you'll need when selling or part-exchanging a car. So much so, buyers are advised never to purchase a car without it! Your car's V5C, also known as a logbook, is a four-sided document that is your official certificate of registration and proves to buyers that you are the registered owner. It also shows key details about the vehicle, including:

When it was first registered How many previous owners it has had Any modifications that have been made Colour Engine size Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

All of this information helps the buyer confirm that the car they're purchasing is as described.

It is also used to inform the DVLA that the car has been sold. To do this, fill out the relevant section in the V5C registration document (section 6 and 8 for private sales and section 9 if you're selling to a motor trader, dismantler, or insurer) and send it to the DVLA. Alternatively, you can inform the DVLA online. You'll then need to give the green 'new keeper' slip to the vehicle's buyer.

If you've lost the V5C, or it's damaged, don't worry. You can obtain a replacement by completing a V62 Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate on the UK Government website.



Driving License

Remember, you'll also need to bring your driving licence to match the address on the V5C. Make sure you keep your driving licence and V5C up to date with your latest name and address so you don't encounter any issues with selling or part-exchanging your car.



MOT Certificates

Once your car reaches the third anniversary of its registration, it is legally required to have a valid MOT certificate, proving that it is roadworthy.

If you're selling or part-exchanging your vehicle, you should provide the latest MOT certificate. Ideally, you should also provide any past MOT certificates to show when each MOT was carried out and any advisories that were made.

If you don't have a physical copy of your MOT certificates, all information on current and past MOTs is also now available online so you can go online and download the necessary information.

MOT History check on gov uk website

Service History

Providing a full-service history gives buyers confirmation that your car has been well maintained during the time you've owned it and is in good condition. It also confirms the car's mileage.

Make sure, if your car has one, you bring the car's original service book with stamps from an approved garage or dealer, showing that the car was serviced at the required intervals. Don't panic if you can't find your original service book, some cars have it recorded within their vehicle digital system. You should also keep and supply any documentation, invoices, and receipts for additional work you have carried out on the vehicle such as new tyres.



Original Owner's Manual

If your car has one, you'll also need to bring the original owner's manual. This will often include information and user guides for the car's entertainment system, alarm, etc, as well as details of the manufacturer's warranty. This will help any new owner to get to know the car better, including how to turn off the alarm, or change the radio to their favourite station!




When handing over your car, you'll need to provide both the main and any spare keys you may have so don't forget to check the back of your draws for any keys you may own.



Finance Settlement Letter (Where applicable)

If the car you're selling was purchased with finance, and you still have some of the balance to pay off, you'll need to provide a finance settlement letter from your lender. This letter details how much is left on your finance agreement, and is generally valid for 14 days from the date you request it.

When part-exchanging your car, you can give the dealer your finance settlement letter from the lender and they'll arrange to pay the outstanding loan when you pick up your new car.



Locking Wheel Nut Key (Where applicable)

Locking wheel nuts are used by car manufacturers to keep wheels secured to a vehicle, though not all cars have them. If you're going to try and remove a locking wheel nut, you're going to need a locking wheel nut key.

Therefore, when selling or part-exchanging your car, it's always important to ensure you have the key to pass on to the dealer or new owner to avoid any issues in the future.



Proof of Address

Don't forget, you'll also need to bring proof of your address which needs to match all of your other documents.



Looking to sell or part-exchange your car?

We can help. At Carbase, we make sure our process is simple and fuss-free with our knowledgeable staff to ensure you leave with the right car for you, and that you get the best deal when part-exchanging your car.

As a family-run company, we also believe in fair pricing and our experts will strive to offer you our best price for your car or van. Find out more on our part-exchange process, or get in touch today.

Full price Monthly

Matches in stock: